Monday, September 24, 2012

Doing Gender and Supporting Patriarchy

Every morning when I wake up, I get out of my bed, which is covered with pink blankets and pillows. I brush my teeth and then I do my hair, usually doing something "girly" to it, straightening it or braiding it, you know the drill. Then I apply my make up and get dressed for the day. It doesn't matter if it it's shorts, a dress or even sweatpants, there is no mistaking that my gender is female. I chose feminine activities over masculine activities everyday. For example, when I go to the beach, I prefer laying in the sun, rather than playing football or some other sport. When I was little I took dance classes and gymnastics, while the boys I knew were on little league football and baseball teams. My parents definitely raised me to be a girl. My bedroom was pink, I had every Barbie doll imaginable, I had Princess and bride dress up outfits, and I hated getting dirty. Being brought up this way formed the way I "do" gender. Without even realizing it, I "do" gender in every aspect of my life.

By "doing" gender, I am supporting patriarchy. In the world we live in, it is impossible to not participate it the system of patriarchy. Men are one step ahead of women in just about every aspect of life and in every social institution. My own last name is supporting patriarchy. There is no escaping the system. Even by following the social norms in our society, patriarchy is being supported. When I let men do the "dirty" work, such as taking out the garbage, or killing a roach in the house, I am supporting patriarchy. I am perfectly capable of taking out my own garbage, and as much as I hate roaches, I am capable of dealing with them. But our society has us believing that these are jobs for men, and not for women. Whether you want to or not, everybody participates and supports patriarchy in some way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment